tea brews yonder
Poetry form – Hay(na)ku
In a traditional Hay(na)ku, there are:
- A tercet: 3 lines.
- A total of 6 words: 1 in the first line, 2 in the second line, and 3 in the third line.
- There is no restriction on syllables or stressed or rhymes.
- In the ‘reverse’ haynaku, the longest line is placed first and the shortest last. The total is still 6 words: 3 in the first line, 2 in the second line, and 1 in the third line.
- Multiple hay(na)ku can be chained to form a longer poem.
- See the anthology for more variations.